Energy Assistance

Energy Financial Assistance

Energy assistance funds for low-income consumers


Ontario Electricity Support Program (OESP)
The OESP is an Ontario Energy Board (OEB) program that lowers electricity bills for low-income households. The OESP provides a monthly credit to eligible customers based on household income and household size. The OESP credits are applied directly to eligible customers’ bills, beginning January 1, 2016.  

Customers can apply online at You need to complete the online application, print and sign the consent form, and mail it to the address provided on our website. A paper version of the application can be downloaded from the OESP application website at or can be mailed to applicants by the OESP Contact Centre upon request. Customers unable to apply online can contact an intake agency. Designated intake agencies can be searched by region on the OESP application website at

Applications take about 6 to 8 weeks to process. Credits don’t take effect until you submit all required information and your application is processed. The program is available to all low-income customers who have accounts with electric utilities, unit sub-meter providers and retail energy companies. Customers must apply to the program.

For more information, contact the OESP Contact Centre at 1-855-831-8151.

Low-Income Energy Assistance Program (LEAP)

LEAP Emergency Financial Assistance is a comprehensive, year-round emergency financial assistance program developed by the Ontario Energy Board to assist low-income energy customers better manage their bill payments and energy costs. The program’s design is based on the “Winter Warmth” program (previously administered by the United Way) and is intended to supplement existing government initiatives. LEAP Emergency Financial Assistance, which is funded through the distribution rates of distributors, is a grant program intended to provide emergency relief to eligible low-income customers who may be experiencing difficulty paying current arrears.  It is not intended to provide regular or ongoing bill payment assistance.

The delivery of LEAP Emergency Financial Assistance relies heavily on cooperation between utilities and social service agencies. It is expected that as agencies screen and assess applicants in need, that they may refer customers not only for Emergency Financial Assistance, but also for customer service measures and/or conservation programs. However, if no referrals are provided, we recommend that you contact the utility and request what your options may be. For more information, please go to:

The maximum grant level is $500 per fuel per household per year.  At the discretion of the agency, you may be eligible for a grant of up to $600 if you live in an electrically-heated home.  Some utilities, such as Hydro One, are giving clients additional funds, up to $550 – $575 if clients normally heat with another fuel source, such as oil, but have been using electric heating because they were not able to purchase oil.

The first step is to contact your electricity or natural gas provider or unit sub-metering provider. You will be referred to the social service agency serving the area in which you reside (this agency is called the “lead agency”). The lead agency, and not your utility provider, is responsible for assessing whether you are eligible for LEAP Emergency Financial Assistance. For more information, go to

Upon contacting your utility you will be provided the number for the utility’s Lead agency who will complete an initial eligibility screening with you over the phone.  If you meet the initial criteria, you will then be requested to contact another local social service agency in your area to complete a small application process.

Community Homelessness Prevention Initiative (CHPI)

Starting January 1, 2013, funding for five former homelessness-related programs, including the Emergency Energy Fund (EEF), will be combined into one program – the Community Homelessness Prevention Initiative (CHPI). The purpose of the CHPI is to provide flexibility for municipalities to provide locally-based solutions that address local homelessness-related needs.

Municipal Service Managers have the flexibility to choose the programs and services they offer in their communities with their consolidated funding and to establish eligibility criteria. This may include programs and services that assist households at risk of homelessness retain their housing, such as emergency assistance for the payment of utilities arrears. Contact your local Service Manager for information about the specific programs and services available in your community through the CHPI.

Discretionary Benefits for Recipients of Ontario Works (OW) and Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP)

Individuals receiving OW or ODSP may be eligible for discretionary benefits for, among other costs, funds for utility and/or heating arrears. The fund is municipally administered. Access and availability varies from municipality to municipality.

Housing Stabilization Fund (HSF) – City of Toronto

Applicants in Toronto who are in receipt of OW or ODSP benefits may be eligible to access  assistance with energy arrears through the Housing Stabilization Fund (HSF). To request assistance with energy arrears, clients must contact their caseworker(s).

The Heat and Warmth Program (THAW) – City of London

The Heat and Warmth Program (THAW) provides emergency financial assistance to cover the cost of utility bill arrears in order to avoid disconnection of service. Applicants may be eligible if they meet income criteria, are pending disconnection or are currently disconnected, and have paid a minimum of $50 towards the utility account in the previous four months.

The program begins each year on January 2nd and operates year round. THAW is administered by Housing Support Services at The Salvation Army Centre of Hope. Applications are completed at Library locations throughout the City of London and at The Salvation Army Centre of Hope. Applicants can call 519-661-0343 ext. 300 for more information.

Fund for Utility Service Emergencies (FUSE) – Peterborough Utilities Services

In Peterborough, low-income customers of Peterborough Utilities Services (PUS) may apply to the FUSE program if they are facing disconnection of their utilities or need help to restore service. FUSE funds can be used for PUS utility arrears and security deposits.

Assistance may be available to individuals or families a maximum of once per year except in extraordinary circumstances. Maximum levels of assistance may vary according to availability of funds. FUSE is administered by the Housing Resource Centre, a program of the Community Counselling and Resource Centre. Call 705-743-9122 for more information.

Waterloo Region Energy Assistance Program (WREAP) – Waterloo

WREAP is a seamless, coordinated approach to assisting households with low-income to avoid the consequences, such as loss of heat or homelessness, associated with the inability to manage utility arrears. The program is funded by the Province, corporate sponsors in the community and Winter Warmth (sponsored by Union Gas). 100% of the funds contributed by corporate sponsors go directly to people in need.

If you are not receiving Ontario Works, call the Application Line at 519-883-2100 and select option #1. When you call Regional Social Services, you will need to provide your Social Insurance Number, Health Card Number, banking information (including account number), information on assets and income, and rent or mortgage amount. If you are receiving Ontario Works, speak with your caseworker.

Keep the Heat – Windsor & Essex County

Keep the Heat provides energy assistance to eligible low-income households experiencing financial difficulties and/or in receipt of a notice of termination of utilities. The public and affected families are also educated about energy conservation and provided with tools such as window insulation kits. Contact the Unemployed Help Centre at 519-944-4900, or Housing Information Services at 519-254-4824 to find the location closest to you, or visit

North Hastings Community Trust

The North Hastings Community Trust provides low-income families, individuals and children with community referrals and emergency financial assistance. Items covered may include rent, heat, hydro, groceries, and medical expenses. Other requests will be considered on a case by case basis. Call 613-339-1100 for assistance.

Hamilton Utilities Arrears Program

The City of Hamilton has established a fund to help low-income households, including OW and ODSP recipients, to pay for utility arrears, disconnection and security deposits. Families with children are eligible for up to $1,500 in assistance per year.  Singles and couples without children can receive up to $799 in assistance per year. To apply, OW and ODSP recipients should contact their case worker directly.  Individuals or families not receiving social assistance may contact Special Supports at 905-546-2590. For more information visit:

Housing Emergency Loan Program (HELP) – Hamilton

Operates its own loan program as well as the Provincial Rent Bank. Interest-free loans are available for people in a number of situations, including people who are behind in their rent or utilities. Contact 905-527-7479.

Rainy River District Social Services Administration Board – Prevention of Homelessness and Advocacy

The RRDSSAB Prevention of Homelessness and Advocacy will provide advocacy and support in maintaining necessary heat and utilities to ensure that persons can remain in their homes. This program is funding by the Ministry of Community and Social Services under the Consolidated Homelessness Prevention Plan. Access to Homelessness Funding for utilities and heat is “once in a lifetime” funding. Qualifying applicants residing in the Rainy River District are given support to ensure that all other resources have been exhausted prior to applying for Homelessness funding. Households must be pending disconnection or currently disconnected and all funds are paid directly to the electricity or gas account. The program is funded annually and operates until funds are exhausted. Applicants can call 807-274-5349 for more information.

Niagara Emergency Energy Fund (formerly Share the Warmth) – Niagara Region

This fund covers electricity, natural gas, oil and other forms of energy. Applicants may receive assistance to pay arrears, security deposits and reconnection fees through direct payments to the energy providers. The maximum assistance per household is equivalent to two months energy arrears, security deposits and reconnection fees, in order to restore or maintain utility services, except under exceptional circumstances. Additionally, recipients may only receive assistance under the program once per year, except under exceptional circumstances. For more information and to learn which agency you may apply to, you can visit:

Northern Ontario Energy Credit

The Northern Ontario Energy Credit helps low- to moderate-income individuals 18 years of age and older and families living in Northern Ontario with the higher energy costs they face living in the north. The credit is part of the Ontario Trillium Benefit.

For the 2015 benefit year, single people can receive up to $143, and families (including single parents) can receive up to $221. These amounts are adjusted for inflation each year.

You may qualify for the 2015 credit if:   

  • your principal residence on December 31, 2014 and at the beginning of the payment month is in Northern Ontario*, and
  •     at the beginning of the payment month you are 18 years of age or older, or have or previously had a spouse or common-law partner, or are a parent who lives or previously lived with your child, and
  •     for 2014, at least one of the following conditions applies:

                 -  rent or property tax for your principal residence was paid by or for you, or
                  - you lived on a reserve and home energy costs were paid by or for you, or
                  - you lived in a public long-term care home and an amount for accommodation was paid by or for you.

*Northern Ontario means the districts of Algoma, Cochrane, Kenora, Manitoulin, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Rainy River, Sudbury, Thunder Bay or Timiskaming.

You apply for the credit by completing the ON-BEN form, which is part of your return. You may qualify for this payment even if you do not owe income tax. The deadline for filing returns is April 30 of each year. If you file late, your credit payments may be delayed.

Ontario Clean Energy Benefit

To ease the impact of rising electricity costs, the Province introduced the Ontario Clean Energy Benefit (OCEB) which provides electricity consumers with a 10 percent rebate on the total cost of electricity charges related to electricity consumption on their bills, including HST. This rebate took effect with electricity consumed January 1, 2011 and will end on December 31, 2015. Beginning September 1, 2012, the 10 per cent rebate will be applied to the first 3,000 kilowatt hours of electricity consumed per month. With the 3,000 kilowatt hour per month cap in place the Ontario Clean Energy Benefit will continue to provide a full 10 per cent rebate to almost all residential consumers. For more information, go to the Ministry of Energy’s website at


Low-Income Energy Network (LIEN)
c/o Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario (ACTO)
1500 - 55 University Avenue
Toronto, Ontario, M5J 2H7
Phone: 416-597-5855 ext. 5167
Toll-free: 1-866-245-4182 ext. 5167
Fax: 416-597-5821